The transformation from Patriot to Maverick
Hi, fellow viewers!!
I thought I would update you with what is going on in my life! It's been quite a while since I've posted anything on this blog. My posting has been irregular, but I'm planning to try and jump back into this.
The last 6-7 months of my life have been going full speed. I finally entered my senior year of high school. The first semester was not easy as all. Lots of stress-induced breakdowns from College Algebra, but I've found the balance with creative writing, Latin, and American film history. Second semester has been WAY kinder. Wrapping up senior year feels more surreal than I could have ever imagined. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I haven't been able to experience what I'd been dreaming of doing my entire year. The whole year has been altered to fit guidelines and now I will fit under the forever category "first high school graduating class to go through the whole year despite a pandemic." I have lots of feelings about this and I believe it's coming out through my writing from my school newspaper. As I always say, "Writing is a healthier way of releasing your feelings than meth."
My friend and I started a podcast in the midst of all this chaos. While it was something that I wasn't ever thinking I'd accomplish, this process has been insanely fun. My friend Jada and I sat down (over facetime) and finally worked on a dream we both had. Our podcast, Pinkies Up w/ Jada and Emma, is where we discuss and spill all the tea. Talking about topics we care about and laughing over stories has proven to be very helpful throughout senior year. We've released about 10 episodes, so if you ever need a laugh, check it out on any available podcast platforms.
Last November was college talk central. I looked at a few schools in the surrounding area (SMSU and SDSU), but none seemed to offer the classes that would help me with my future. Finally the stars aligned and a link for Minnesota State University, Mankato popped up. Immediately, within minutes of reading their page, I knew that this was the place where I wanted to continue my education. Going for an English major of creative writing and screenwriting, I cannot wait to see what happens in the next four years. However, with this being said...
No one told me what a hassle college would be!!! The past few years... I guess my whole life, technically... I haven't had to worry about what classes were coming up and signing up for things was something you did when you wanted to join a new club. While I haven't had to sign up for any classes yet, this whole process needs to be simplified down to my level. I had to apply and then wait. I GOT ACCEPTED! Then the real work began. Confirming my enrollment, signing up for the FAFSA, getting a new student ID, looking at meal plans and financial aid options, begging my favorite teachers if they would write a recommendation letter for me, look for scholarships, apply for some of them (even though they take forever to get letters back from teachers and the process takes ages), set up roommate preferences, more waiting to start looking for roommates etc. WHEN DOES IT END??
As much as college worries me and makes me stress about my future more than it should, I'm still clinging slightly to my high school experience. I'm not sure if I'll get the prom and the graduation like the movies promise, but I'm just trying to soak up the last three months of high school I have before I'm going off into the world to do my own thing. While I'm focusing more on writing my books safely stored away in my computer, my goal is to not leave you hanging on by a thread, wondering when I'll post. I have plenty of ideas, but when school takes a chill pill on me, believe me; you'll be updated.
Signed,
Midwestern Redhead
So glad you are back! Embrace your final year in high school, unconventional as it may be. You are a powerhouse of creativity and I have no doubt your future will be filled with success. :-)
ReplyDelete