Book Review: Me Before You

They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Figuratively and literally, this is true. Sometimes I've found books with amazing covers that I've heard remarkable reviews on, but I usually tend to say "Not today." (Most is in part with saving my money.) During one of my weekends at my lake cabin, I noticed my grandma had the book Me Before You. I had recognized the cover because of the photo of Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin from the re-release of the book due to the movie that had come out recently because of it. By recently, I mean I found this book this year and the movie came out in 2016. I was a little late to hop onto the bandwagon, but I still caught the wagon, and what a journey it took me on.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes is about 26 year old Louisa Clark, a native of London whose led the same boring life since she was born. No travel, crazy athletic competitions, or a hectic work life. It's been waitressing at a small cafe, spending time with her family, and dating her boyfriend of 6 years. After being laid off from the store going bankrupt, Louisa ends up in the hands of working for Will Traynor. Will has lived the high life, from big parties with rich companies to doing the most extreme sports in the most beautiful, remote locations of the world. An accident causes Will to become a quadriplegic which he is not thrilled about. Neither is too happy to start working with each other, but over time, friendship turns to love. Soon enough, the connection between them is strong, but one of them is keeping a secret that could devastate the other.

From what I had heard from others, people had said it was going to be good. My mindset was all, "I'll see what the hype is about, but there's no way it's THAT good." Well, I was majorly impressed. For someone who reads romances like a child begs for candy, I had some high expectations and they did not fail me. Some instances were unlike the traditional love stories, but the circumstances made it incredibly more heartwarming and heart-wrenching at the same time. While it was a great love story, it was realistic in the sense that it wasn't just love at first sight. It's a girl working for a man, the two become friends and it develops into more. With medical emergencies keeping you on your toes, it's not only hard to put the book down, but also you want everything to turn out right. Moyes knows how to have the reader attach themselves to the characters inside it. Comedy, love, and drama abound in this book so it is sure enjoyable. YOU WILL CRY! It has 409 pages, so it was a little longer. However, the book was small and compact; I could throw it into a purse or beach bag if I wanted to. For people who enjoy longer books though, this novel will definitely be one for you to read.

As with all the great love stories out there, there is always an underlying message that teaches the readers something about love and relationships while still making you swoon. The whole purpose of writing this book was getting out a simple two word moral: Just Live. One of the things Will teaches Louisa is to break out of her comfort zone and live boldly and well. Louisa has set strict limitations and boundaries on her life and Will comes in with his sledgehammer of experience and wisdom to knock them down. At first, she's hesitant, but the more she discovers what life has to offer her, she is immediately happy. Anyone could apply that knowledge to their own life. Get out there and see and do things that are new to you. You never know. You could be that person to change someone else's world.

Signed, 
Midwestern Redhead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does social media tend to isolate people?

The best music comes in the 'After Hours'

Book Review: The Five People you meet in Heaven/The Next Person you meet in Heaven