South Dakota Poem

While going through my personal google drive, I found a poem that I wrote in 8th grade as one of my options to choose for the school-wide poetry slam. While I didn't pick it to present, I think that it's one of the best things I've ever written.

South Dakota is a beautiful state
With rolling plains that never end
While the edges of the cities
Big or small, face the broad sunrise of daylight


We may not have glowing lights
Like LA, Miami, or New York
But we have the character of midwest people
Kind, welcoming, and friendly


Sioux Falls welcomes people with open arms
Ready to accept people
The city might not be big as some
But the energy is as lively as New York city


South Dakota is lonely and forgotten
A state only know for the monument
When there is so much more
Beyond the rocky, badland hills


The tiny towns that comfort me with their old fashioned streets
That make the 1950s seem like just about a week ago
With small homes that seem inviting almost
As if you know the people who reside inside them


In South Dakota, have you ever looked out
The window of your car and enjoyed it?
Not listening to music or for a quick glance
But actually staring out into the vast land


Do the clouds roll past the sky at lightning speed
Or does the sky roll past the clouds while they stand still?
The wheat and hay bales that are stacked among
The grass and the random lines of forests that appear from the ground


Look past the borders
And enjoy this beautiful state
Where some just glance
This is life for all of us

Signed, 
Midwestern Redhead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does social media tend to isolate people?

The best music comes in the 'After Hours'

Book Review: The Five People you meet in Heaven/The Next Person you meet in Heaven