My secret obsession

I have plenty of things I obsess over. Food, Netflix, dogs, reading, writing movie scripts and stories, my friends, etc, etc. Some things I obsess over in secret that no one will ever know. One of them is my guilty traveling pleasure and that is driving through old fashioned looking downtown roads. I know you guys are probably thinking that sounds weird, but everyone has their quirks. Let me explain why this is one of my favorite things in the world.

My obsession started a few years ago when my dad and I were heading up someplace in Minnesota to go camping. We drove through this one small town and I sat up from my movie and had to look out the window as we drove through the center of town. There was an old fashioned movie theater and buildings whose facades hadn't changed from the 1920's or above. The way things are set up in these towns are the craziest things you will ever see. One of the towns we drove through, a whole block had this layout: a Verizon store, a small coffee shop, a bookstore with collectibles, an orthodontists office, a boutique, a cafe, a hair salon, and an insurance office. I don't know who arranged that, but that was clever and strange at the same time. Think about it: if you needed to, your whole day could be on that one long block!

Fun fact about me: I'm also a history buff as well. I love exploring old towns or ones that don't get a lot of attention. Another reason I love driving through old towns is as if that section of town is preserved in history. No one has wanted to tear it down and improve the outside. Walking or driving through them is stepping back in time. Of course, if your driving through them, you only snatch a brief glimpse, but I'm assuming the insides have changed. If not, that's still interesting. I thought these just existed inside of South Dakota, but no! We drove through one when I was traveling in DC and I totally freaked out on the inside. That's why I love old historic towns: history encased in everyday life.

Signed, 
Midwestern Redhead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does social media tend to isolate people?

The best music comes in the 'After Hours'

Book Review: The Five People you meet in Heaven/The Next Person you meet in Heaven